Getting out & about

Donate Online
Donate By Post

Getting Out and About

White canes can be useful, either practically to get around or to indicate to others that you are visually impaired and may require assistance. Most people with LHON do not appear visually impaired and so use a symbol cane at times when they need someone to understand they are partially sighted or to indicate to others in crowded or unfamiliar environments that they need some space or support.


Social Services within your local council can provide you with white canes and can explain the different types available. In addition, they can teach you techniques and skills to use them effectively to travel around independently.


Train Travel

If your sight loss is registered you can get up to a third off rail tickets by applying for a disabled person’s railcard. You can buy a one year or three year railcar and it entitles you, plus a person you are travelling with, to a third off the fare.


National Rail services will provide help if you have a sight impairment and need guiding around a station or help boarding and getting off your train. If you need assistance when travelling by rail, it is best to book assistance 24 hours in advance.

If you are not sure what train company you are travelling with, please contact National Rail Enquiries:

Telephone: 08457 48 49 50


Travel by Bus 

You can get a bus pass for free travel if you’re disabled. Passes from councils can be used anywhere in England and Wales.


Crossing the road 

All traffic lights should have either an audible or tactile signal that indicates the green man has appeared. The audible signal will be a beeping sound and the tactile indicator can be found under the push button control box in the form of a cone that spins when it is safe to cross.

See this government website for more details.